Friday, March 26, 2010

Free Speech Follow Up

For those concerned about Anne Coulter (see previous blog entry), here is another one. A real test of those who argue that Coulter's right to free speech was violated is whether or not they will ride to the rescue of David Frum:


How would I approach this issue. I might begin by saying the same thing as I said about Coulter: I don't really follow David Frum. There are some parallels, I think: we're dealing with private institutions, pundits, people who have access to the media, and unpopular views. In this case, the question -- it seems to me -- the question is whether or not the AEI violated their contract with Frum. The big difference, as you might imagine, is that we are dealing with a policy debate as opposed to someone who was insulting people on the basis of their religion. There might be a moral issue here, too: is the AEI a think tank or is it the propaganda arm of the Republican Party? If they legally removed Frum from his position, it seems to me that this is a question they need to answer. 

Post a Comment

North Korea and the Economics of Threat

North Korea is in the news so much ... that no one pays attention to it. And, in my view, rightly so. Yes, some people have to pay attention...